The Beauty Effect

They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
That phrase has been said for many years in many places. There are no rules to beauty. It is whatever appeals to the individual eye.
Of all the pain that I have experienced in my short lifetime. I am fortunate to bare witness of infinite beauty. Which is not hard to believe. This world is filled with millions of beautiful women all over the world, and complimented by handsome men.
In my world there were days that I lived with, and many days that I had to live without. However, there was not one day that I lived without beauty. Whether it was in my friends (because I always had beautiful friends) or my environment it was always there.
I remember the first time I met my best friend in 3rd grade. The first thing I noticed was her flawless beauty, even as a child and it only elevated as she grew older.
In fact, in my opinion the most beautiful woman in the world was my mother. Not because she was my mother, but because she was truly beautiful. I grew up looking at her, admiring her. Even when we bumped heads, on days that I felt like I genuinely could not tolerate her. I always enjoyed looking at her. I felt so honored to be her daughter. Excited because I knew if I had any amount of resemblance to her that I too will become a beautiful woman.
Like I said, to my eye my mother was the most beautiful woman, and the second is my sister. My sister was blessed with a strong resemblance to our mother with added features that really makes her beauty incomparable.
The younger me (the me with thick almost connecting eyebrows  and a light shadow of hair directly above my lips) have heard many compliments about my mother, and even more about my sister. Followed by insults of what happened to me? As if to say the beauty gene skipped me.
Those statements affected me in such a way that I developed this mentality or awareness of constantly searching for beauty.
I guess in hine sight you can say it was the act of my insecurities. I never felt beautiful so I stayed in constant search of it in hopes that being around attractive people will somehow rub off on me and make me more attractive. I recently had a conversation with a close friend of mine about this very thing. I have a tendency of befriending every woman I find stunning.
It started in 3rd grade. It happened again in high school two girls in particular (A & H). When I worked at the restaurant I made a friend who has three sisters whose beauty equals her. In a support group I met a couple and to me the wife was mesmerizing. Even in college I shared a class with this girl who immediately caught my attention. So naturally she became one of my best friends.
Fast forward to today. I still struggle with finding my own beauty. For those of you who have never seen me. I am a 5ft. Lighter tone African American woman. I have been told that my best features are my eyes (which are hazel) and my hair which has always been long and full. Even with these qualities, I fill without them I would have no beauty.
With me being a mother to a little girl who I name Calista (which means the most beautiful). I wonder how she will perceive herself. If she will share a similar issue of the deceptive eye. If her eyes will be able to see the beauty of others, but fail to acknowledge her own.
I certainly hope not.
My daughter is so beautiful to me.
I literally say it all the time to everyone who will listen. She has inherited the beauty gene. Some of her features resemble that of my sister so you know I could not be more proud. She doesn't need hazel eyes, or light skin, or long hair to be flawless. Calista in her natural state is gorgeous in my eyes. I admire her the same way I admired my mother, the same way I admire my sister.
There is no blueprint to beauty.
I am aware that how you look has nothing to do with who you are.
I do not want my child growing up shallow, or placing physical attributes as a primary importance when she is older and it is her turn to navigate this world.
I simply want her and anyone reading this to be aware of her worth, and acknowledge her beauty. So if she ever comes across someone or something that challenges her perception of herself. She will react better then I did. By not giving energy into the lie.
I cannot wait to tell her
Beauty is not in color.
It is not in size.
It is and will always be inside.
Of all the things that can be taken away.
Your beauty can never be.
So cherish it.
Explore your natural beauty.
Instead of searching for others...
Be proud to be apart of the millions.
Be proud to be apart of the infinite.
And I will work to be proud as well.



Comments