April 29th 2023 (The Hit)

 Carl and I had awoken out of our dead sleep to the sound of a familiar alarm. The repeating beeping sent my heart into overdrive as I regain consciousness and fear now taking over as I  realized the smoke alarm is going off.

Instantly, I tap into my senses trying to see if I can smell smoke or sense anything unusual. Carl seeming more alert than I am, jumps up to inspect the house. Not before stopping the alarm by waving a pillow to fan it.

When he desends downstairs I follow wanting to know myself what's going on. Partly, because I'm too impatient to wait even a second.

Once in the kitchen we find nothing out of the ordinary. Everything was turned off. The oven. The stove. There was no smoke. There was nothing.

Bewildered, Carl and I did a double check only to confirm what we already knew. Nothing was wrong.

So, why did the smoke alarm go off?

The only thing we discovered is piss and shit on the dining room floor from our dog Lucky.

Could that be the reason the alarm went off?

Shaken by the whole ordeal we decided to camp into the living room just to keep a watchful eye. Whatever the cause we wanted to be sure we were safe. By now it was 4:30am. The sun hasn't even awoken yet, but here we are. 

Later that day, when Carl came home from work. I knew he would be tired so I wanted to make sure dinner was ready for him. I recruited the help of our kids who were in a sour mood.

Not because of the mysterious alarm. No! They didn't seem to hear it. Though it was piercing and loud enough to snatch the soul out of Carl and I. Another unusual aspect.

How could they not have heard?

It was as if the alarm was only meant for Carl and I, like a warning sent from the guardian Angels that something was about to happen.

Indeed it did.

The kids were upset because they wanted to spend the weekend with grandad. The plans fell through giving rise to their disappointment, and in an attempt to cheer them up I recruited their help in the kitchen. Making spaghetti and meatballs.

It seemed to work, and the four of us sat down to have dinner together. It was the perfect moment. Sitting, talking, planning, laughing. Carl brought up the unusual events that occurred overnight. Admitting it occupied his mind all day. Jones ( my son) reiterating that he heard nothing. 

Carl then joked at the possibility that Lucky's ass caused the alarm to go off, leading the four of us in an eruption of laughter because we know that's definitely possible. 

Once the laughter cease Carl decides perhaps it's best to take the dogs for a walk before we settle down to bed. Wanting to ensure what happened last night doesn't happen tonight.

As he gathered the dogs leashes he enlist Jones to assist him on the walk. Informing Jones that it will be helpful if he could walk Bagel ( small beagle) while he manages Lucky ( German Shepard).

Just as they start for the door Cali decides she wants to go. Wearing her bright yellow Pikachu dress, she quickly throws on a navy blue jacket, and follows them out the door.

Once gone I use that quiet time to call my business partner ( ex business partner at the moment) to ask some questions about a banner we ordered.

The conversation no more than five minutes I hang up and head downstairs to clean dinner. The second my foot touched the last step my front door vibrates from forceful erratic banging. 

I open the door to find Jones hysterical! In a shaking crying, screaming combo he screeches CALI GOT HIT BY A CAR!!! SHE GOT HIT BY A CAR!!

Before my mouth can formulate a response Carl trickles in bloody carrying an even bloodier Cali. She clings to him silent and still looking up as if she's to weak to even move her eyes. 

Frozen in place by the sight before me, I pause.

Fear detaining me from making any moves. Afraid that if I get close to her I could very well witness her last breaths.

The very thought that paralyzed me also knocked me back into reality. Instantly invoking my mama bear instincts I rush to her.

Sit right next to her gently inspecting her, while also interrogating Carl. Wanting to know if he called the police. When he informed me that he hasn't yet, he just wanted to get her to me, because one he didn't have his phone, and he's too freaked out to know what to do. I run for my phone. 

Once in my hand I realize I'm shaking. My grip so unstable I could hardly focus my fingers long enough to dial those three numbers. It took a few tries and during that time my eyes glued to my daughter.

I watch her as blood gushes from her forehead due to a deep and wide gash acting as a doorway for her blood to exit her body. Crimson red coats her entire front, changing that lively yellow dress into a eerie red.

Her front teeth cracked, cuts, bruising , and more gashes on her chin, nose and face. Looking as if the impact caused her face to meet the ground first. Her breathing sound strained. Low and fast as if she struggled to breathe.

Cali already born with a respiratory disability, hearing those sounds not only made me fear for what happened to her externally, but what was going on internally.

Holding the phone to my ear I hear nothing after I press the call button.

It took a few tries, and each time there was no immediate answer. It wasn't until the fourth try ( by this point I decided to just drive her to the hospital convinced that 911 is malfunctioning). That I realized I need to wait a second to be transferred to the local dispatch.

By then we had moved Cali into the car preparing to drive her myself in lightning speed accepting of the multiple tickets that will result from it. When Carl discovered he left the key in the house. I fall to the cold hard ground in my carport. Wailing sharply at the idea that we're running out of time. 

I decided to call one last time and THIS TIME I got an answer. Every emotion consumed me at once. Overwhelmed I unleashed all my panic. It was so overpowering the dispatcher could not understand a word I was saying 

By then, my neighbor had come out. Sitting on the ground next to me she rubbed my back whispering for me to breathe and calm down so I can speak clearly. It wasn't until I heard her voice that I knew I was hyperventilating. I couldn't control the banging in my chest. Sharp, painful, and fast. I was beginning to lose control, but something in me slowed. I muster up the strength to collect myself just long enough to send help our way.

It wasn't until dispatcher asked me what happened that I realized I myself did not know what happened. I inform the lady that I didn't know, but she can talk to my husband because he witnessed the event. 

Handing Carl the phone after he moved Cali back into the house. I linger nearby wanting to hear this story myself. 

However,

My attention is pulled when I recognize the hysterical screams, and wails coming from outside.

Noticing Jones still in a frantic state. More neighbors gather, and it appears that they're all trying to calm Jones down but keep him from coming inside the house. He's on the ground shouting, but all I could make out is him asking " is she dead?"

Before Carl could explain anything EMS arrives along with the police. They assess Cali while police asks what happened.

Finally, I hear Carl explain briefly that they were out walking the dogs. They had crossed the street earlier, and were coming back home so they had to cross that same street again. 

Before they entered the road he checked and saw nothing just a light in the far distance. Which made him feel like it was safe to cross. Already halfway across pass the yellow lines out of no where a car was coming fast. Too fast. When he saw the speed wasn't changing he urged the kids to run. Jones made it across, and Cali was right behind him, while Carl and the dogs were behind her. The car suddenly approaches, STRUCK CALI then kept going. 

At this moment EMS was ready to transfer her in the ambulance. Notified about her disability the urgency now heightened as they tell us that it's not much they can do with her because of it. "We need to get her to the hospital now!" EMS exclaimed. However, only one parent can ride.

Carl insist I go given the fact that police need more information from him. I waste no time following Cali as she lays in the stretcher still so very still and quiet. Not once during this whole ordeal did she cry. It was her calmness that scared me. Perhaps it was the shock. Her adrenaline rendering her frozen. 

However, her quick but faint breaths indicated time is not on our side. Walking onto my front yard I see every neighbor on the block gathered, surrounding Jones he bolts to me demanding to know if she's okay. I reply "she will be." Immediately regretting that statement. But I couldn't bring myself to admit that I really don't know. 

I tell him to stay with Daddy. He's coming right now and you'll meet us at the hospital.

That seems to calm him a little and I proceed to the ambulance. Before I go inside the EMs stops me. Advising me to take a second to gather myself. "It's very important that you remain calm in front of her. We need her still until we get her to the hospital. If you get upset she'll get upset, and that will not help us right now."

 I nod in agreement. While inside my muscles tremble. What an impossible request. He doesn't understand. He doesn't know Cali, and all that she's been through. He doesn't know how fragile she is 

Literally the worst thing in the world that could've happened to her... HAPPENED! 

SO,

NOW WHAT?




If you wish to donate to help support the road to recovery. You can do so by visiting our GoFundMe page. 

Titled: Hit by a car 

https://gofund.me/1bf753aa



Comments